Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Hey playboy..."

I'll proudly admit to adopting yet another culture, but you know it's bad when your own grandmother actually mistakes you for one of your Korean friends in a picture you took just the day before. My inside source for the absolute best Korean food, entertainment and celebrity eye candy is none other than the notorious Yuri Bong, who I have yet to dedicate a post to in all of her stylish glory.

One of her latest introductions pointed me in the direction of my 4 adorable new girl crushes: Dara, Bom, CL and Minzy of girl group 2NE1. Besides their undeniably catchy songs (which I naturally don't understand any of the words to) and music videos that capture the highest essence of girly fun, I did what I do with everyone I'm introduced to and radiated immediately toward their individual senses of style.




The very best part about bubblegum-pop groups is that detail-oriented stylists always ensure that outfits for any given time flow cohesively, just like a good designer collection should. A rock-solid concept will translate to a seamless design aesthetic. Take a leader singer's flowy one-shoulder blouse for example. Should the top be leopard print, every member of the group will have leopard print incorporated into her outfit as well (case in point, Spice Girls and Destiny's Child circa early 2000's). By principle, each will each have her own distinct personality, showing off what she enjoys wearing best while remaining true to the overall visual identity of that particular occasion.




So I'm starting to ramble, and I realize these outfits would probably look more appropriate on a Powerpuff Girl than a twentysomething college grad, but it's impossible to deny the creativity and fierceness taken in 2NE1's approach to fashion. Whether it's ridiculous patterned leggings reminiscent of optical illusions or an in-your-face acid-wash motocross jacket, 2NE1 definitely inspires the "rawr" factor in me and gives me that extra tap on the shoulder, reminding me that it's okay to go a little crazy once in awhile.

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment