Thursday, August 12, 2010

Inflection point

It's miserable and embarrassing that I'm going back to school, yet have only posted a total of twice this summer. I guess my 100-mph lifestyle this summer has finally caught up with me - Exhibit A being a comment my uncle made (partially at my expense), gingerly describing my appearance as "partied out... but good" because it seemed I had found my niche in New York City after only a few months... "Sorry I'm not sorry."

My style has evolved quicker than ever interning in Chelsea, the neighborhood so saturated by portfolio-toting models that style anywhere else just can't compare. I've permanently traded in my sad Rainbow flip-flops for Sam Edelman cowboy boots as my footwear go-to's, and frat function crewneck tees for oversized, slouchy v-neck tops. Honestly, a white Fruit of the Loom undershirt paired with my exposed-pocket 7FAM shorts and the boots, accessorized only with my Ann Taylor LOFT single-strand gold necklace and Diesel sunglasses, is good enough for me to down some Colombian roast and be out the door. This look involves loads more substance than does any given Lilly polo or Tory Burch logo sweater matched with some yawn-inducing J. Crew 3-inch inseam chino shorts. Bye.

Carolina Cup 2010 AKA Preppy Heaven

As I went on my annual before-school spree, I noticed I was still being drawn to monochromatic pieces that complete a more androgynous look, the style I've nurtured after being constantly exposed to girls and guys exuding the textbook definition of effortless downtown chic. I thought to myself, if this is my look now, why stop? Why allow Wake's suffocating style palette of Jack Rogers sandals (vom) and Vineyard Vines everything to dictate the pieces I appreciate? I'm more certain than ever in my style and the aesthetics I appreciate; naysayers can kindly go fuck themselves.

This entire set is comprised of items I own (the necklace and mini-satchel are the only stand-ins), so this is a taste of a typical outfit on my end these days. I do find it ironic, though, that the outfit's main pieces both seem to channel borrowing from your boyfriend's wardrobe when in reality, I feel this is a uniform to convey newfound sentiments of confidence and control.

 V-neck Boyfriend Tee
Forever 21, $5

Boyfriend Shorts with Liberty Pocket Lining
7 For All Mankind, $160

Nile Short Cowboy Boot
Sam Edelman, $189
DS 0194 HAI
Diesel, $120
  
Vintage Snake Chain Necklace
Bop Bijoux, $98

 
Totally Turnlock Percy Cross Body Bag
Marc by Marc Jacobs, $198

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment