Sunday, August 15, 2010

A cut above

I say this with intentions of expressing as little narcissism as possible, but I was kind of fashionably precocious as a high-schooler. Precocious meaning I was just very aware of what was out there, beyond Greenville's pastel-grosgain-ribbon-lined gates of Lilly Pulitzer and Trina Turk. That being said, when my friends were browsing prom dresses from the familiar lot of BCBG, etc., I wasn't satisfied, looking to shopbop and Singer22 for inspiration. I finally settled on the ever-statement-making alice + olivia Poof Paillette Dress in canary yellow.

My graduation dress, though, was another story. I remember feeling helpless when presented with the mission of finding a simple white dress, and making it my own. It sounded easy enough, but how would I find a dress that so perfectly conveyed my blossoming transformation from awkward, ugly duckling to Wake Forest-bound success story? After browsing endlessly online and in local boutiques, I fell in love with the Deep V-neck dress by Catherine Malandrino. With its thick pintuck straps and laser-cut flower cutouts at the hem, this delicate little number was perfect for my petite frame and its babydoll fit accentuated my tiny waist.

My graduation dress, shown here in black.
 Deep V-neck dress in black
Catherine Malandrino, $400

"Successfully merging Parisian flair with New York cool, Malandrino's clothes are intricately cut, colorful bursts of subtle sophistication." 

Since then, I haven't been able to associate the Catherine Malandrino brand with anything but fashion-forward elegance. Browsing her Pre-Fall 2010 collection, I am in awe of how inspiring the separates and dresses are. The line ranges from neutral beiges and creams to some popping reds and canary yellows to keep fashionistas' interests. I would wear variations of a number of looks in the collection, as they most notably employ the use of heavy and light layering and a mixture of textures. The skirts vary from dancer-chic swingy silk to gladiator-inspired pleated leather, so Malandrino has gone above and beyond with her creativity for this season. Featuring some lighthearted floral resort pieces, it's apparent that there is still a hint of summer involved with this collection, coupled with the more serious black jumpsuits and fringed leather vest. All in all, looks 22, 31, 33 and 64 are my favorites, but all of my top selections stated here convey my basic principles of balance and understated luxury.

 
 

Long live Malandrino.

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment