Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer's last hurrah

So as summer winds down, I'm at the annual transitional crossroads between summer and fall. It's not quite Indian Summer or autumn yet, but my favorite seasons are approaching and I can hardly wait. The only dilemma I have is exactly how to allot my budget. I've been dying to get a solid pair of cognac gladiator platform wedges. Should I give them a chance now that it's mid-August, or move on to black tuxedo stilettos, something that can be paired with a peacoat and opaque tights? Wow. Maybe I am getting a little ahead of myself.

Regardless, there are still a good lot of sandals that I've been lusting over, the majority of which are by Dolce Vita. I recently purchased a pair of black/gold ecoté flat gladiators from Urban Outfitters for under $30. These will get the job done for pulling together my usual homeless-chic outfits (a term of endearment), but don't provide the extra oomph that a pair of leather wedges do. After searching obsessively for the past three days and nights, below are my options to celebrate the last leg of summer.

Dolce Vita >> Raleigh >> $170: Raleigh wins the "Most Likely to Be Purchased" award. I'm hell-bent on making the cognac color mine, but they're sold out almost everywhere in my size. All three colors are great neutral shades to tie together any outfit combination. I can easily envision myself wearing a simple black crop top with my Joe's Jeans jean shorts uncuffed carrying an oversize satchel and aviators and sporting any one of these shoes. Then again, these wedges could also go well with J Brand cigarette leg dark jeans and a slouchy wool sweater for fall and winter. Sooooo many options, therefore, a must-have. And I'm not just being impulsive.

Twelfth St. by Cynthia Vincent >> Luella >> $405: I am obsessed with Cynthia Vincent's line of wedges for S/S 10. Every single pair makes my heart smile because of all the versatility it could provide to one's wardrobe. These shoes look like they'd go great with cuffed boyfriend shorts and a wrinkled plaid button down as well as any pair of jeans for fall. These pictures make the shoe look a little more rugged than I'm sure it really is, but even then, it gives off a tough-girl vibe and is ready to be paired with more lighthearted pieces for a to-die-for outfit.

Dolce Vita >> Helix >> $173: These shoes are something else. A hybrid loosely reminiscent of grommet-studded clogs, buckled gladiator sandals and espadrille wedges, the Helix is the genius creation of Dolce Vita to serve as the ultimate versatile shoe. These shoes are brilliant, gorgeous, playful and structured-- all at the same time. With the "x" straps at the toes, the parallel buckle straps and the side cutouts, the designers clearly employed shapes as being an important concept to the finished product. I love.

Dolce Vita >> Reno 2 >> $80: Different from many non-espadrille wedges, these shoes don't feature buckles or side straps because of they're basically the girly sandal cousin to high top sneakers. I love these shoes for a number of reasons, number one being that they're totally unexpected. It's certain shoes like these, that are strange upon first glance, but warrant a second look upon turning away. Like the Raleigh sandal, these shoes have those interesting Dolce Vita cutouts on the side that add an extra hint of fun. The platinum silver color is most definitely my favorite-- the black, white or tan are just too Robin Hood for me.

J. Crew >> Cleo >> $165: There are always those families of products, that when presented together, complement each other so well that a customer is rendered helpless but to want to buy the whole lot of them. That's exactly what these wedges do to me every time I look at them together. These shoes give off a much more refined look than the other trendier sandals, but they still reflect summer, romance and femininity. The grey sandal is definitely the underdog here. I first overlooked it, then realized how unbelievably cool that white heel was. The light brown is pretty self-explanatory, but the dark brown might look a little too earthy unless paired with riskier pieces.

Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent >> Mason >> $350: These are my dream shoes right now. Literally everything about this shoe is perfect (besides the price, ouch). I would wear these shoes every day if I got them; they're that versatile. These shoes are totally channeling petite celebs like Rachel Bilson and Nicole Richie, and that's why I love them. The buttery camel leather paired with the tougher gold buckle detailing is what makes the shoe so high-quality and perfect. Definitely my favorite in this set.

Dolce Vita >> Rozene >> $199: I know, I know. These shoes are crazy at first glance, but when you take a step back, they're definitely more refined than you'd expect. The shoe is covered with cresenct-moon cutouts and studs, but that doesn't detract from its versatility at all. I can totally imagine petite girls wearing this shoe stepping out on Melrose in two long, layered barely-there tanks and jean shorts for daytime, or a vest and skinny jeans bar-hopping at night. This is such a vest shoe, and it's amazing that one look can determine that. It's like being fashion-psychic... definitely a resume booster.

So yes, a loaded post indeed. Now that I've finished raving about all these shoes, it's time for me to go and do something about it. The outfit combos are endless, and I'm just getting started.

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment