Saturday, September 18, 2010

Redefining classic

As a 16-year-old, I was a pretty smart cookie. Besides managing to sneak out to New York City every single weekend (as well as getting home in time for dinner Sunday night and being bright-eyed and polished for class the next morning), I just knew Aimee Cho was onto something with her line, Gryphon. I first stumbled upon the genius collection of trenchcoats while browsing a Bloomindale's mailer and fell in love with the crisp, clean lines, the top-quality fabric and the entire idea of totally reinventing the trench. What a reformed concept-- borrowing a brute soldier's staple item, tweaking and upgrading it a bit, and turning it into a young lady's very own fashion statement.

Now, if only their models weren't so incredibly lame. Frankly, with some of these ridiculous poses, they'd be better suited baking a pie for the new neighbors than doing these pieces justice. Just saying.


Wince-inducing models aside, Gryphon is a now household name among those who appreciate the best of the best. Practical, sophisticated and fun, a Gryphon trench multitasks with ease. Capitalizing upon unexpected detail and playful touches, Gryphon does a fabulous job of keeping our interest and remind us the importance of a structured (oh, and useful) piece of outerwear, as well as branching out to other categories... I want just about every pair of sequined shorts they've designed, nbd. I'm so excited for the day I can finally add the perfect Gryphon trench to my wardrobe. It's been a long time coming, and as much as I knew Cho would eventually make it big with her line, obviously part of me wanted it to remain my little secret. Yes, story of my life. But who ever said selfish was all that bad?

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment