Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Edith Minturn

Even the most eloquent of words couldn't do my reverence for Edie Sedgwick the proper justice. I love that even now, forty years after reaching the peak of her fame, Edie and her personal style of fur coats, leotards and smoky eyeliner is still not only relevant, but considered totally inspirational to the most fashion-forward of minds, socialites and hipsters alike. I don't know which makes more of an impression, her casual, slurred drawl and seemingly-intoxicated laughter, or her unforgettable saga as a poor little rich girl turned overnight celebrity. From her signature dangly chandelier earrings to mod shift dresses and dark opaque tights, I love everything about Edie's style and could analyze her fashion photos for hours on end without once feeling the need to check the time.


Obviously, one of the most important elements of Edie's personal style is her willingness to challenge the strict boundaries of dress established by society. Her waif-like features are astonishingly perfect and I could not think of a person, living or dead, I would rather trade wardrobes with. Designer labels are secondary to Edie's look-- it's not about who you wear, it's about what you wear and how you wear it-- a philosophy I respect a great deal. With her popping doe eyes perpetually smudged with thick dark liner, Edie channels the quintessential sixties fashionphile. I'll just cut myself short. Much more could be said about this Factory Girl, but I'll leave the pictures to speak for themselves. I love.


"I had fun, but I didn’t really have anyone I particularly loved except for loving friends. But I have a certain amount of faith that it will come." --Edie Sedgwick

Here's to you, fashion. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment